Sunday, January 27, 2013

How To - Add YouTube Videos To eBay Listings SIMPLE VERSION

   After spending over an hour trying to figure out how to add a simple YouTube video showing how an item works to one of my eBay listings I decided I would do a short blog post and try to save other sellers the hassle I just went through. This is not a YouTube how to, it simply covers the steps to embed the video into an item listing.
To make this simple - YouTube has changed the code they give you and it does not work in eBay auctions.So instead of going crazy like me trying to figure out why it isn't working just follow these simple steps
1. Go into your youtube video you are wishing to add to your new item listing. This is assuming you know how to use YouTube videos (if not wait for my more detailed blog post coming soon)
2. Switch your auction listing to enter html code instead of standard
3. Decide where you want your video placed
4. Now it is time for a little copy and paste & edit 2 simple spots in the html coding
COPY THIS HTML CODE AND PASTE INTO YOUR EBAY LISTING
 <p align="center">
<object height="385" width="640"><param
 name="movie"
 value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXXXXXXXXXX?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"><param
 name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param
 name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXXXXXXXXXX?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"
 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always"
 allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object></span></strong></p>
You notice the XXXXXXXXXXX  - NEXT STEP IS TO REPLACE THOSE X's WITH YOUR 11 DIGIT YOUTUBE VIDEO NUMBER
(I found the most simple way to do this was to go to video and simply copy the 11 digits right out of your web browser from the url to your video)
ASSUMING YOU HAVE ALREADY PASTED THE CODE INTO YOUR AUCTION BODY (in html editing not standard) THEN ONCE YOU REPLACE THE X's YOUR GOOD TO GO!
Now this is NOT like other html editing that when you switch back to "standard" editing in your eBay listing you will be able to see the video. THIS PART HELD ME UP FOR A WHILE. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong. Turns out I just could not see it. If you are done working on your item then just simply go onto the next step in the listing process and you come to the page where you can "edit" "submit" or "preview" - at this point PREVIEW your listing. This is when you will be able to see the video in your listing.
I have included my video to the listing that took me over an hour below. So to save you some time just follow the simple steps above and you will not have to go insane like I did. Hope this helps someone out there. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me here on my blog, through my email, facebook, twitter, or any of the many social media networks. I am easy to find and always willing to help in any way I can. BEST PART - NO I don't CHARGE A DIME..... I don't always have the answer, but if I do I am more than happy to share.

UPDATE: 4/18/2014  - There is an option on YouTube videos to use the old coding. REMEMBER TO SWITCH the code before copying and pasting into your listing. I will be writing a more simplified & updated version of how to add youtube video to your listing on ebay VERY soon. If I have time over the weekend I will do, but with it being Easter weekend and having 3 little ones... it might not happen until during the week. 

Special Thank you & credit to pinkfloydtrader of eBay for their very helpful guide. Whom I learned how to do this from.

No comments:

Post a Comment